Friday, May 28, 2010

Toddlerhood


About a month ago, I awoke one morning to find that a toddler had taken the place of Baby Delaney. As it is with the passing of every stage, my emotions have been mixed about all of this. It really did seem to happen over night. My girl is a bundle of wild monkey-like energy and independence. I'm pretty certain that she figured out how to push every single one of my buttons the minute she entered our world, BUT...she is my pride and joy, and a constant reminder of God's blessings in my life.

Now that she's a toddler, she doesn't need ANYONE'S help to...

Read books at her table

Take off her diaper and streak

Feed herself, i.e. smash food in her hair

Put on her shoes

However, she's not so independent when:
  • It's 5:30 am (her wake up time, according to Delaney)
  • I am trying to cook dinner
  • I am needing to use the restroom
  • I'm trying to talk on the phone
  • I'm trying to do a "quick" grocery trip
Please don't misinterpret me. I'm not complaining about my life now that we've entered toddlerhood. It really bugs me when parents complain about being inconvenienced by their children. Truth be told, there is nothing convenient about parenting. But there's also nothing better.

In general, I think she still likes me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know we are just a few weeks...or days from finding a toddler in our home as well. LOVE the streaking picture! Too cute!
-Heather Powers

ck2m said...

I love your honesty Karen. It is so refreshing. There is no greater frustration then kids but also no greater feeling of love and fulfillment.

Leiflet said...

:) I don't think anyone becomes a parent because it's convenient. I'm not sure that falling in love is necessarily convenient, either. But i think they're both totally worth it!!

Kari Q. said...

Can I just say you are an author to say the least...I love this post, every last word and pic of it! You are too funny my friend! And quite an encouragement to this mom.